Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Am I who they really say I am......am I a "D i" ?!?!?

Are we who they say we are? Do you really think that a test can actually describe who you are and were you stand as an individual? It is possible that these tests can shed some light on our stand as Managers, but I feel that is very difficult to judge a person solely on 25 questions.  There are so much more to people then the words that were presented in class. However, I couldn't help to notice that my results were somewhat, what I was expecting to receive.  That is why the name of my blog this week is "Am I who they really say I am.....am I a "D i"?!?!?!" After answering the twenty five questions these were my results:

Dominance: Emphasis is on shaping the environment by overcoming opposition to accomplish results

This persons tendencies include:
  • getting immediate results
  • accepting challanges
  • making quick decisions
  • taking authority
  • managing trouble
  • solving problems
I also have the subscript "i" which includes a person that emphasis is on shaping the environment by influencing or persuading others.

Of course these are all pretty positive attributes towards my D personality.  I have to say that they are pretty accurate, however I don't feel that I am a dominant figure.  I don't feel that I "tell" people what to do, rather I help guide them in the right direction. I  believe dominating an individual to make them work more like you, ruins creativity and innovation prospects.  Restriction of someones thinking process actually would hurt my feelings, because I love to stretch my mind, and thinking of people that restrict my imagination are usually people that I don't like. I am proud that I am a D, but I feel that I would rather have feel into the I, or C categories. It hard to tell because, if any of us were to read each category we can find bits of ourselves in each category. So if I had to answer truthfully where I would rather be labeled as, it'd be a "DISCO", because I find my traits in all categories. This test could be an unofficial way to classify someone management type, but I think trying to find someone with a "premium" management type is ludicrous. We all show our management types in different ways and I think finding an effective management type, is finding someone that possess the skills of  leadership matched with management skills. And I don't think a test like this would help me with personal interaction, because I am who I am, I don't need a test to tell me who I am and how I interact. Changing your ways pending a test is a crazy idea!! I believe strongly is being yourself, so if this test tells you your a "D" but you would rather be an "I" don't change yourself just be you and it will work out, it has to.

Cheers,
Marco<-

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo what's up Marco! You got a little angry there in the end of the post. lol. I must say I do concur though. When Professor Kurpis said that many firms today do use the DISC test, I did question to myself how ethical those firms practices are. I totally agree man...we can get all "jammed up" thinking too much about tests and such like this.
    From what I've come to know you as this semester so far is more as an influential steady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I actually thought you were more of an I or C type from early on in Millhiser's class! I guess we sometimes act differently than the way we think we do.
    But then again, you exhibited some leadership when you directed our group during the Beer Game simulation. Perhaps you have a combination of three personality types!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to totally agree if you are the type of persons that does not like to dominante, more than give suggesttion participate than you are more of a C or I part. But as you mentioned before sometimes we are a combination of D,I,S AND C. We can't strictly say that we are this type or another. I think we are a combination of all types.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, I am a fellow Dominance, Influence person. Management types are a guideline for how you would behave in a management situation and are not necessarily 100% accurately describing you.

    ReplyDelete