Thursday, November 4, 2010

Choose your Forking Path

Vision which path to take
When presented in class with the word vision, I felt that it is something that I have thought about before, however never really set in stone. Many people think about what they want in life, everyone differs from others. It seems that a majority of our classmates tend to lean towards the business side of a vision, since we are establish in a this type of school. However, beyond the business aspect of achievement, what else is there? What else can one envision? What are you really going to be doing 5 years from reading this blog post? Well if you don't know, you should start. That is why the name of my blog this week is "Choose your forking path"

Vision is something that we all must sit in our beds at night and really think about, what do you want in your life? I was currently hired at TD Bank, little less than a year ago, and in my interview for the job I was asked the very simple, yet meaning full question, were do you see your self career wise in 5-10 years? I must admit I wasn't expecting it but this is what I explained:

1) An established individual- the meaning of this is to be a well rounded individual in all aspects of life. Whether it be my job, my family, my finances. I want to be established.

2) Work out of the country- One of my visions of life is to work outside of the United States, take my knowledge to far distances to not only share, but to learn from others as well. Life is a learning process, each day is a new day to learn. Just imagine learning other cultures, amazes me.

3)Learn a different language- Learning a language can make me work to my full potential, it can help do the unthinkable. People say it is impossible to learn languages as you get older, proving them wrong is a key goal in my life!!!

4) Climb a mountain-  Hiking a mountain not only take endurance and strength, but it take will power. I want to be able to achieve the unthinkable, and do the unthinkable.

Climb your mountain
When I first began my college career life was more of breeze than anything.  Taking each day as it came, never thinking about the future, and just living with the motto  "it's meant to be". But then I began to realize that this portion in life if you think about it, is such a small part of the actual bigger picture.

So remember:

"It isn't sufficient just to want - you've got to ask yourself what you are going to do to get the things you want." -Franklin D Roosvelt


 And....

Vision with out action is just a dream
Action without vision is merely a waste of time
Vision coupled with action can make things happen

Achieve Greatness my Fellow Classmates,
Marco-


15 comments:

  1. Hi Marco. One of my goals, which I did not mention on my blog,is to learn one more language, Spanish, which I do now.Currently I speak three languages and I am studying Spanish.However, it is erroneous accusation stating "It seems that a majority of our classmates tend to lean towards the money situation as life's long goal for happiness" All of us write about our main professional and personal goals, dreams, visions but nobody put the money or money situation as the main goal for the future.Our fellows have realistic goals in which they want to convert into reality. Wish you good luck with your goals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of us have the same goals, because it is understandable that we want to be happy and have time and other resources to enjoy the life. But, unexpectedly, there are obstacles created by other people who want to be also happy. Just remember, do not turn down the happiness of other, they have the right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are correct it was a strong accusation on my part. And I did not mean to offend anybody, I actually meant it in a good way, however it came off wrong. Ecomgt, I am sorry I don't quit understand your stand point. Would you mind explaining it to me a little more? What aspect are you pertaining to in my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fixed it Larissa, I did not mean it in the way you interpreted it :) a vision, is a vision, and I don't want to turn anybodies vision of life down, even if it is money!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comment on my blog. As I was reading yours I remembered that one of my goals that I didn't mention is to learn spanish, because it is the second language in United States. I agree so much with you that, "...learn from others as well. Life is a learning process, each day is a new day to learn". This is so true and that's what keeps us motivated. And for hiking a mountain, can you take me with you, please, when you decide to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is a learnign process and it will never end, so true. I also love to learn different culture and i do understand a bit from watching foreign movies. You can also learn from watching foreign country movies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have great visions. Being well rounded, working out of the country and learning another language are all great ideas. Each one will allow for your personal growth and broaden your horizons in the future. I like the FDR quote at the end, so many of us, including myself, want things without realizing how much we actually have to work to get there. But one of my favorite quotes is, “hard work now will pay off later.” If we keep doing what we are doing now in working towards our visions, we will be able to be everything we want and more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marrrrccoooo, great quote from Franklin Delano Roosevelt. That is exactly what it is all about, not just attaining the things but putting them into effect. Learning another language is a great one as well. I can mess around a little bit in spanish and french, but would like to know them fluently like I do Albanian. For climbing the mountain, it is good to see a physical goal that you want to achieve and I could relate to that. I think your goal of being a well-rounded individual is already taking place and it is refreshing to a know somebody like you, great job and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,

    I enjoyed reading your post. You have great goals for the future, and you really put them well in words. With addition of quotes and own experiences, it makes for a great blog.
    Being a well-rounded and established individual in all aspects of life is a great goal to have. Also, studying and working abroad is a great experience to have. This is something that I have been experiencing. I was born and raised in Sweden, and moved to California when I was 20 years old, and has since then both studied and worked in the Los Angeles area. Last year I moved to New York to go back to school. It really is a great experience to study and work abroad, where you learn more about different cultures and a day-to-day language, which one can learn by immersing oneself in the country in question. Learning other languages is also a great thing to do. Lastly, climbing a mountain sounds like a great goal to have as well!

    You sound very determined! Keep going and good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree in the way that you plan to progress in life. I think that you will climb the mountain and will do much better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's goin on brotha? I'm with ya on that one...sometimes caught off guard when we are asked of our five or ten year plans! You got a really good thing going on at TD Bank - companies look for integrity and not too many other jobs test a person's integrity like being around all that loot in a bank.

    I consider you personable, dedicated, trustworthy, and honest. I agree, climbing the mountain represents so much, and it truly tests a man's character and discipline. Go for that goal of working out of the country! - taking advantage of your youth and the opportunity before you get "tied-down" in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always hated the "where do you see yourself in 5 years question?" I always felt like answering, "I see myself cruising the south pacific on my private yacht sipping a pina colada" because truth who has any idea where we will be in 5 years. Maybe next time ill try turning the question back on the interviewer: "Well, that's a difficult question. I'd actually be interested in your view - where can this company take me in 5 years time?" = )

    Anyway I find it cool we both share one goal - to learn a new language. what are you interested in learning??

    ReplyDelete
  14. My man Marco is becoming a certified BLOGGER. I also remember being asked to write about my plans for the future when I was in the 10th grade back in my home-country. Being in US or being a tennis coach never made it on that paper - I'll share what did:
    Buying a Mercedes-Benz. Making a video with 2Pac. Owning a Cell phone. Being in a Mob world.
    It's amazing how we travel through life. I owned a Benz few years back, AMAZINGLY I own a cell-phone, luckily I'm not in the Mob and 2Pac passed away the same year I came to United States.

    That was then and for many years now, BEING AN ESTABLISHED INDIVIDUAL has been a goal and an evolving process. Its great you mention that. Your goals demonstrate your appreciation for life and people, and I think it sets you apart from many closed-minded individuals. Marco Polo traveled the world and met some extraordinary people-same thing I wish you, Marco.

    ReplyDelete